Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Why are babies so odd?


My husband and I have a son, Liam. He is almost 3 months old, and probably the most adorable child I have ever seen. I don't think I'm biased -- this is cold, hard truth! At the moment, the little cherub is fast asleep in his Pack N Play, which brings me to the subject of all this.


He has been sleeping ALL afternoon. Now, I know babies are supposed to sleep a lot, blah blah blah. But not Liam. He doesn't sleep all afternoon -- ever. EVER. Usually he's awake and either hungry/alert/crabby, but never sleeps more than 2 hours or so. So what's going on here? Growth spurt? Maybe. I doubt he'll make this a habit. Which brings me to my next subject.

Before Liam was born, I read a few books on the whole routine/schedule thing. Drew (my husband) and all his six siblings grew up on strict schedules, and his mom says they're a God-send. So I thought it would be a piece of cake -- just follow what the book says, right? Oh, so wrong. The books I read were all about first Eat, then Play, last Sleep. Well, the eating thing is no problem. And neither is the playing. But the sleeping? That's another story.

Liam doesn't want to go to sleep every time after the Eating and Playing. Sometimes he just wants to keep playing. Or he'll want to sleep immediately after (and sometimes during) eating. At times he'll sleep for hours and hours (like now). And the rest of the time he'll sleep for like 30 minutes and then want to play. It is not organized by any stretch of the imagination.

But it's not that big of a deal, either. He eats at pretty much the same times every day -- wakes up once during the night around 2 am, wakes up for the day at 6:30, and so on...  And he's still getting over jet lag and all that. (To clarify, he was born in the States and we just got back to China a week and a half ago.)

Here's my conclusion: Do I care? Will it really matter if I try to get him on some sort of sleeping schedule now when another trip or a cold will just throw him off again? My answer is no. I do NOT care!! Well, I kind of do. But not enough to try and force him to sleep at certain times and keep him awake at others. It would be kinda nice to know when we can go out and when to bring him home after an outing, but... in the end, he's a baby.

And babies are odd.

0 comments: